Monday 8 April 2013

>>My pride and joy

Hello again:-)
So this week, I thought I could give you a tour of my pride and joy...our stoep garden.

Most big city dwellers my age live in tiny houses, and if you have a garden you are really lucky. When we first moved into our place, the only thing we used our stoep for was braaing, and we never went out there unless we had to. So, I decided to start something like a hobby out there. Growing plants in pots is easy, and very rewarding. I started with herbs, then we bought a little cypress tree (which was also our Christmas tree), and now I am planting flowers. I love cooking with my herbs, and it is so sweet to watch the little seeds stick out their cute baby leaves for the first time. The best thing to have is a couple of edible flowers like nasturtiums and violas. They put some lovely colours in the garden, plus they can fab up a salad. I planted sweetpea and poppy seeds about 3 weeks ago, and just look how big they are already! The best thing is that I will have the most amazing flowers growing on my stoep right in the middle of the dreary Jo'burg winter.

I got a wooden pot thingy (see the picture below) at first and filled it with potting soil. In that one pot I managed to plant 6 different herbs, and they all grow together. I love going outside now, and it looks a lot more like home. So no matter how small you stoep, or even if you only have a nice spot of sun indoors, a little garden is never too big a task.



2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome :-) Lovely post Anzellie!

    Looking forward to enjoying a glass of wine with you two on your stoep! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beau - yoo - tiful. I'm definitely plaguing you for some hints and tips then on my little herb garden I'm planning... :)

    ReplyDelete