Friday 28 June 2013

>>I am officially not an awards-virgin anymore!

A couple of months ago I was starting to get seriously worried that I was not producing the kind of work that I could enter into advertising awards. In my industry, it really doesn't matter if you think you're talented, you are only measured by the amount of awards that you've won and how your porfolio is looking (but one without the other is not really good either). I was freaked out thinking all kinds of crazy things, one of them being that I completely sucked at my job and that I should just start with something different. To tell the truth, and after talking to some people at work, I realised that even the most successful art directors and copywriters think they suck at advertising at some point. The important thing is just to keep trying, and keep entering, and at some point (doesn't matter if it takes you 5 friggen years), you will win something.

Since being pared up with my amazing new copywriter, things have really changed. I am so proud of us, and being part of a team is just the best thing that could happen to me, right in the nick of time. We've been busy with a couple of real exciting pro-active jobs, and last night one of them won third place at the Ad of the Month ceremony Out of Home category. We actually decided to try doing some street pole ideas, since the Loerie awards and AdReach has a trip to Cannes in store for the winner this year (basically because the average street pole ad in South Africa is generally absolutely...well shit). Our streetpole won 3rd place, but was the only streetpole in the category to get a place.

I know, I know, it's only a street pole and it isn't like we won gold at Cannes, but it feels kinda rad winning your first award, doesn't matter how small it is. And who knows, Loeries are soon, and with two entries we might stand another chance. Holding thumbs:-)

Check out the project here.

No comments:

Post a Comment