Monday 1 July 2013

>>Watercolour Saturday

When I was a student, I used to work at the old art shop in Pretoria called Schweickerdt. I was always hanging around the watercolour stand, inspecting the tubes and pans and reading up about the medium. When the shop unfortunately closed down early in 2011, I managed to get a studio set of Winston & Newton watercolour pans for a fraction of the real price, with big plans to go to Hermanus and try them out on a seascape or something...well, that never happened. Working and getting married and making all kinds of plans left no time for me to paint and do art, and when I did have time, I was just too tired and uninspired to remove myself from the couch.

So, this weekend my good friend Clarise and I decided to finally get around to the hobby, and we cracked a bottle of red and whipped out our watercolour brushes. I always paint in oil, and I heard that watercolour is a super difficult medium to use, but I'm pretty much up for any challenge so I gave it a go. Both of us tried watercolour for the first time on Saturday and this is what we came up with. I plan to try these feathers one more time (especially the red ones), and if they come out sexier, then I'll frame them in little wooden frames for our bedroom.

So what do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment